How to use the map
How to use the large map view
How to display your search results on the Full Map View:
- Perform a search using the Find a Person search option.
- Your results will be displayed with a small map preview on the right-hand side. If you would like to see a larger map there are three ways you can do this:
- Click on the small map button (at the top of the map)
- Click on the map itself
- Click on the map tab at the top of the list view results page.
About the map pins
- Map pin types
- Numbered map pin: the numbered map pins are representing people you can find in the left-hand side column results
- Dot map pins: the dot pins are other people found for your search that are not listed on the left-hand side
- How to use the map pins
- Put your mouse over the map pin to display the person's name
- Click on the map pointer to display the person's listing and get more details
How to use the map navigation toolbar
- Zooming enlarges street level details on the map, so that you will see all street and highway names.
- You may also zoom out to city or region levels to have a bird's eye view.
- Note that as you zoom out on a map, the level of detail diminishes.
- Slide the visible area of the map in any direction (north, south, east, and west) by clicking on the Pan buttons (which border the map).
- This allows you to see neighbouring areas on the same map.
Toggle Map (road) and Satellite views
Toggle between the following views:
- Map view: In this view, you'll see a road map of streets, highways, neighbourhoods, cities, boundaries, and related feature
- Satellite view: In this view, you'll see a photo map of buildings and geographical features from space
- Double-click anywhere on the map to descend one zoom level and refresh the map display so that the point you clicked on is at the centre of the visible map area.
You can get step-by-step directions:
- From or To a specific business
- Between two addresses of your choice
Get directions from or to a person
You can access the Get directions feature from the person's listing in the search results page, or from the person's profile page.
- Click on Get Directions
- Select a destination or departure address
- A: departure address
- B: destination address
- Click on the Get directions button
Get directions between two addresses of your choice
You can also get directions between two addresses (without performing a search for business listings), by clicking the Get directions link from the map environment.
- From the home page click on the Map tab (you will access the map environment)
- Click on Get directions (located above the left-hand column of the map
- Enter your departure address in text field A
You can enter almost any combination of street, city, postal code, and province (minimum of city & province OR postal code).
- Enter your destination address in text field B
- Click on the Get Directions button
You will get step-by-step driving directions and the route between points A and B will appear on a map.
Tip: Reverse route
You can switch your departure and destination to reverse the route by clicking on the double arrow button next to the A and B text field.
How to find nearby businesses:
From the search results page or from the person's profile, a form is available for you to find businesses nearby.
- Enter what you are looking for in the text field.
You could either enter a:
- Business name
- Business category
- Product or service
- Phone number
- Click on the Find button
Tip: Display businesses in the area in one click
When on the large map view, you will notice icons representing popular categories at the top of the left-hand side column. These icons are quick links for you to display businesses from these categories located in the area.
The categories are:
- Bars and pubs
- Movie theatres
- Gas stations